VERNON — The Vernon Historical Museum will open for the season on Sunday, June 12, from 2 to 4 p.m., with an ice cream social. Other events will follow.
The event will feature music from Jack Arensmeyer and friends, and old-fashioned hand-cranked ice cream will be prepared and served during the event. Bring lawn chairs and join Vernon historians in celebrating community and local history.
The museum’s main building, built in 1848, is the former Vernon School District No. 4, also known as the “South School.” Recreated rooms include the original one-room schoolhouse, farmhouse kitchen, and period tool room.
A large archive of genealogy, photographs, local history information and artifacts are also available for viewing. An adjacent building houses horse-drawn carriages, farm equipment, tools, a large loom, an anchor found in the Connecticut River, and part of the old North Vernon Post Office.
On Sunday, July 10 at 2:30 p.m., Vernon Historians will feature environmental biologist and natural resource planner Adair Mulligan who will talk about “Connecticut: New England’s Great River.”
Author, photographer, historian and outdoor enthusiast, Mulligan is currently the executive director of the Hanover Conservancy.
On August 28, Vernon Historians will host the annual “Mums and More Sale” fundraiser featuring merchandise from local artisans and plants from Griffin Gardens.
Vendors interested in participating are encouraged to contact Vernon Historians for more information on the event.
Located at 4201 Fort Bridgman Road in Vernon, the Vernon Historical Museum will be open Sundays from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. from June 12 through September 18. It will be closed on July 3, July 10 and September 4.
Appointments to view the museum or the 1860s Pond Road Chapel, Vernon’s oldest surviving church, which includes an Estey organ, can be made by emailing [email protected] or calling 802- 258-4841.