The building that houses the Gregg County Historical Museum itself is an important part of Longview’s history.
The building at 214 North Fredonia St. is in a downtown area where almost all 19th and early 20th century buildings have been razed or altered. It was built in 1910 and is the only example of 20th century neoclassical commercial architecture in the city.
The Everett Building is a two story building with an elevated basement. It faces the southwest corner of the property with a rounded bay and a recessed main entrance on the first level. Four freestanding pink granite columns and two square pink granite columns flank the entrance to support the bays of the second floor above. Most of the exterior features are original, including the main entrance, Ionic capitals and pilasters, and composite order columns in pink granite. The modifications to the building were minimal.
The original commercial facade on Fredonia Street has been replaced. Early photographs show an elaborate raised panel above the ledge in the southern corner with the date 1910 embossed. Another ornate raised sign was located above the ledge on the Northwest Elevation, indicating the secondary commercial space on Fredonia Street. These two elements have been deleted.
HH Howell organized and received a charter for Citizens National Bank. The bank was located at the northeast corner of Tyler Street and Fredonia Street in the JC Turner Building. Citizens National Bank bought land half a block north on the northeast corner of Fredonia and Bank Alley. There, the Everett Building would open as Citizens National Bank. The construction of the new building was the result of a collaboration between the president of the National Citizens Bank, LJ Everett, and the educator and local architect Samuel Blocker, one of the first members of the association of architects of the ‘State.
The building’s other previous tenants include the Commercial Guaranty State Bank of Longview, the Rembert National Bank, the American Red Cross, Lanier Clothiers and, finally, the Gregg County Historical Museum. Additionally, lawyers, doctors, barbers, pharmacists and other commercial tenants used offices in the remaining parts of the building, including prominent lawyers Thadeus Stinchcomb and Erasmus Young.
Between 1960 and 1979, the structure remained virtually empty, with the exception of special temporary events such as the Longview Centennial in 1970 and the United States Bicentennial in 1976. Ann Lacy Crain purchased the Everett Building and took it over. donated to the Gregg County Historical Foundation in 1979. The Gregg County Historical Foundation, which had been chartered by the State of Texas in 1966, had always hoped to have a permanent place to display its collection of artefacts, documents and artifacts. historic photographs of Gregg County.
The Everett Building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, 1979, and is a Registered Texas Historic Landmark, 1983.